Thursday, March 12, 2009

Gray Matters

What is the ONLY thing that might be just as good as decorating your own house? Decorating someone else's, of course! My mom has decided that she is ready to redecorate her bedroom. It is looong overdue (sorry, Mom), but she's been wanting it for a while. Money doesn't grown on trees. Did you know that?

We talked on the phone the other day about what she's looking at, and I told her I'd send her some pictures. Instead of e-mailing them, I thought I'd blog them! This way she can see them all out in the open, and I can explain my thoughts to her (and you!).
My mom's bedding is a pale, mist blue and tan paisley pattern on a cream background. The closest idea I could find is the curtains in the background above. It's much more subtle than those, but it explains the inspiration piece a bit.

Yeah, right. If she had all the money in the world, and Candice was her best friend? Maybe. I can see this being my mom's dream room. Mostly because of the design, but also because I love it so much, I'd be sleeping on that chaise in front of the fireplace. What can I say? My mom likes having me around.

I like the paint color of the photo above and the next three below. There are different aspects I like of each.
I thought you'd like this one the most, Mom. It's got a bit of a green hue to it, but it's purty! Of course, the five feet of crown molding helps!

Next up? Window treatments. I think some long, silk-ish panels will be gorgeous. You just can't go wrong with (what I think are) a classic look.

The photo below is from Design Inc., and I've been in love with it forever. The color scheme might be a little light for her, but it's spectacular! I love the soft panels combined with the tailored furniture. My favorite, Mom. I know the color's a little off, but what do you think?
Granted, a little "hotel room" looking, but we're talking panels here, remember? Plus, I'd like her to see the lighter colors combined with the darker wood.
We talked about painting her furniture (freaked her out), so it doesn't have to be done. These pictures prove that! Finally, this room encompasses a lot of what I think her room should look like. It's a little "old French" (yes, I made that up), but the tones are THERE.

Once we actually tackle her room, I'll let you know. She lives out of town, so it might be a bit. For now, it's sure is nice to start researching! Thanks for staying with me!

33 comments:

Shell in your Pocket said...

Oh...I love the first one~

Have fun decorating and creating a beautiful room for your mom!
sandy toe

Kristin said...

I love the colors you are talking about, they feel very calming!

Lisa said...

YES, I REMEMBER THAT CANDICE BEDROOM MAKEOVER. I LOVED IT!!!
SO GREAT THAT YOUR MOM HAS YOU TO HELP HER. TELL HER TO BE BRAVE, SHE CAN DO IT.

HUGS FROM MAINE

Momofgirls said...

Gosh....could you come help me next!?

How fun to help your Mom do this..bedrooms are important- they should be restful and and enjoyable atmosphere! Can't wait to see how it turns out!

Reese said...

I loved every picture. Can you come to my house next?
I know you and your mom will have great time.

phillips phamily said...

Love them all! Your mom won't go wrong with any direction she chooses. And I wish Candice was my best friend, too!

Anonymous said...

Why do I feel this deep urge to redo my bedroom...? I have just feel in love with each picture. How do you pick from so many awesome looks...Good luck ladies. If you pick out of any of these there is no way you can ever go wrong. I cant wait till yall can get together and get busy. I will be waiting and watching and wishing it was me,hehe...have fun yall~

Amber Filkins said...

Oh Kris, I love every single one of those pictures!! They are all just so gorgeous. I mean, really.

ANY one of those would be amazing! Can't wait to see what you guys come up with. I'm sure it will be wonderful.

Laurel @ Ducks in a Row said...

How fun - I love Divine Design and just drooled the entire time when I watched that episode.

Willow Decor said...

Loved them all! But my fav is by Candice - Great photos!!
xx-Gina

Mandi Shandi said...

I love anything Candace does, she never disappoints. All the other pics were beautiful too, so whatever you all go with will be beautiful. I actually liked the look of the dark wood with the light bedding. It makes the furniture seem nore substantial. Can't wait to see what you choose.

Astrid in Bristling Acres said...

I honestly can't decide which bedroom I like the best. To be honest, I don't like the gigantic bedrooms though- what a waste of space- my opinion of course!

I do love the mix of light and dark (light fabric; dark woods). In some way it's very soothing.

Jessica said...

I adore that last picture!!!!! GORG!!!!!!!!

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Chris, those are some awesome inspiration photos for your mom's room. Can't wait to see what all you come up with! And glad you are coming to my spring fluffing party next week.

Unknown said...

Oh...I'm gonna need some help myself with window treatments too...I have two windows in my room...they are different sizes(length)..and I think we will be putting the bed under the shorter of the two...I also will be using fabric for my closets...took the doors off!! I am soooo confused about wether or not I should use the same fabric for the two windows and the two closet opening...and on the short window, if I put the bed in front...what do I do with the window covering...???

OOOHHH I wish I had the money for a decorator!!

Wendy said...

Pretty rooms!

queenbee said...

I love the blueish green color. Cant wait to see what you both come up with. Stop by when you get the chance to take a look at my newest DIY project.

Irene said...

Hello Chris,
This is my first visit to your blog. It is beautiful.
I so enjoyed seeing your ideas and inspirations. Very chic.

Anne said...

So funny- I have the first image saved in my "Decorating Dreams" photo file...LOVE. IT.

Kim said...

Good luck on the bedroom! I wish I could "update" my parents home!! I also am living in the cold, mostly state of Michigan! (W. MI area).

Absolutely Ladylike said...

These images are gorgeous I love'em all. And that cute little banner you have is so irresistible I have to have it on my blog...So you are there now. Thanks a lot :-) Love, Evi

Jenny said...

Beautiful pics, I like them all!

Invited In said...

So, I will take picture number three for my master. I love the step up to the bed.

Have fun decorating and don't forget to share pictures with all us nosey people:)

Barb said...

Great pictures sweetheart. My vote is #7 and #11. I planned on white crown molding, pale grey paint, ceiling to floor (very full)voile curtains. In photo # 11, I love the long mirror that takes your eyes up! But how to incorporate it into my size room? HUM..If I had the money, it would be CANDICE OLSEN!!! With you on the Chaize. Thanks for all the great ideas. When can you come and peel off my antique wall paper?

Mom

Ashleigh said...

Ooo I'm excited to see what you decide on!
(I just started a blog and had to share you with the world so yeah, I hope I send over some new readers!)

Blogger said...

I love Candice Olsen, too!

I am sure whatever you come up with will be beautiful!

I was stopping over here to ask you for advice on my Living Room, because I really like your Family Room and wanted your input, if you get a chance.

Thanks, Chris!

http://bella1104.blogspot.com/2009/03/help-me-decorate-my-living-room.html

Anonymous said...

oh, how fun! i'm wanting to lighten up our bedroom and these photos have given me some inspiration - thanks.

Julie at Belle Vivir said...

I love gray. I think gray is the new gray but just with more color and character.


BTW. Love you blog.

MOMSWEB said...

Beautiful! Makes me want to go clean (smile).

Lauren said...

I love all your ideas!! Your mom's lucky to have you & I cna't wait to see how it all turns out!!
xoxo

ps- I LOVE the idea in the link you sent over & am now on my way to check out Candice's site!
:)

Connie said...

How is it that the first bed shot is my ed with footstool? Of course my room doesn't look at grand as that picture but ... oddly similar... hmmmm

penchenk said...

So funny- I have the first image saved in my "Decorating Dreams" photo file...LOVE. IT.

Gina M. said...

I would LOVE to have a chance to redecorate my mom's house! Or to re-do her wardrobe. Alas. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...